This beautifully illustrated volume provides a comprehensive guide to fascia-focused movement in original and contemporary Pilates mat, reformer, and studio applications. Each of the book’s 14 chapters illustrates how each principle of fascia-focused movement is expressed in Pilates exercise. In addition to a comprehensive exercise compendium, Fascia in Motion includes chapters on specialized applications of fascia-focused movement in Pilates including:
- Pilates fascia-focused movement for aging well
- Pilates fascia-focused movement for computer posture
- Pilates fascia-focused movement for osteoporosis
- Pilates fascia-focused movement for hip and knee replacement
The text is supplemented with links to video of Elizabeth Larkam demonstrating each of the exercises personally. A truly stunning achievement and the synthesis of a lifetime’s dedication to the art and science of Pilates.
What Pilates Style magazine says about Fascia in Motion: Fascia-focused movement for Pilates…
WHY WE LOVE IT This comprehensive guide to fascia-focused Pilates movement represents a lifetime of Larkam’s work, complete with color photographs and tables documenting the requirements, intent, attributes and outcome of hundreds of movements in exquisite detail.
Section I: Theory and Practice
- The fascial system, a whole-body organ of communication
- Joseph H. Pilates, creator of movement, inventor of exercise apparatus
- H. Pilates mat exercises, a fascia-focused movement perspective
- Fascia-focused mat exercises
- H. Pilates reformer exercises, a fascia-focused movement perspective
- Fascia-focused reformer exercises
- H. Pilates chair, trapeze table and barrels exercises, a fascia-focused movement perspective
- Fascia-focused exercises for the chair, trapeze table and barrel
Section II: Specialized Applications
- H. Pilates and fascia-focused auxiliary equipment exercises
- Posture adaptations to technological devices with screen interfaces, a fascia-focused movement perspective
- Aging well, a fascia-focused movement perspective
- Bone health, a fascia-focused movement perspective
- Knee and hip resurfacing and replacement, a fascia-focused movement perspective
- Gait, a fascia-focused movement perspective
||About 140 line drawings and photographs
||250 x 250 mm
||29 September 2017
Elizabeth Larkam is internationally recognized as an innovator of movement education.
She was awarded the Medal of the Danish Society of Military Medicine in 2010 in recognition of her efforts to improve the rehabilitation of wounded soldiers. The Pilates Method Alliance initiative Heroes in Motion was inspired by Elizabeth’s work with clients experiencing severe impediments to motor control. She created the Balanced Body continuing education course, ‘Movement Strategies’ to prepare Pilates teachers to provide effective instruction for these clients
As a Dancemedicine Specialist at Center for Sports Medicine, Saint Francis Memorial Hospital 1985-2000, Elizabeth created Pilates protocols for orthopedic, spine and chronic pain diagnoses. And as Director of Pilates & Beyond for Western Athletic Clubs, 2000-2010 she developed the internationally acclaimed Mind & Body Center within The San Francisco Bay Club where she served as Pilates & Yoga Director.
Elizabeth began her Pilates studies in 1985 while teaching dance at Stanford University, where she had received her bachelors and master’s education. A Gold Certified Pilates Method Alliance teacher, she was educated by the first generation Pilates teachers. Elizabeth co-founded and co-owned Polestar Education. When Balanced Body Pilates Education was founded in 2004 she became a Master Teacher and Mentor, conducting courses throughout the world. Elizabeth is a Feldenkrais® practitioner, Franklin Method teacher, Gyrotonic® and Gyrokinesis® instructor. She is qualified in Gyrotonic® II and Gyrotonic Specialized Equipment.
Elizabeth authored the chapter ‘Fascia oriented Pilates Training’ for the book Fascia in Movement and Sport edited by Robert Schleip (2015). She has worked as a Pilates Specialist with the San Francisco Ballet and Cirque de Soleil, a lecturer at the University of San Francisco in Exercise and Sports Science, a lecturer at San Francisco State University in Dance, Fitness Editor for PilatesStyle and as a Reebok Master Trainer. She is a media spokesperson for the American Council on Exercise.
Since 1992 Elizabeth has created instructional DVDs for fitness, therapeutic, education and home markets. As program director of Balanced Body Pilates, she developed the instructional video series that launched the Pilates Allegro Reformer and created a range of programs. Elizabeth is a Distinguished Instructor on Pilates Anytime with 14 programs on www.pilatesanytime.com. She choreographs and performs with PilatesPerformance. Her podcasts and the dance that launched Allegro 2 are on www.pilates.com. Elizabeth’s instructor education workshops are on www.fusionfitnessonline.com.